“The shortest distance between two people is a smile.” – Anonymous
How to Choose a Cosmetic Dentist
Your smile is a self-confidence and emotional booster. A perfect smile can not only affect your self-esteem, but also how people perceive you, both personally and professionally. When you choose to improve your appearance through cosmetic dentistry, it is absolutely essential to choose a skilled, artistic cosmetic dentist who can bring out the best in your smile. In fact, cosmetic dentistry performed by an expert cosmetic dentist can take 10 years off your appearance and make you more complete.
So, how do you find the right cosmetic dentist?
You should choose your cosmetic dentist based on his or her training, education, confidence, and how many years he or she has been practicing cosmetic dentistry. Also, you should become informed about how often the doctor performs the specific procedure you want. As an added precaution, you should investigate whether your cosmetic dentist has claims against him or her with respect to the procedure you are considering or with respect to other cosmetic dentistry treatment.
When you visit your cosmetic dentist for a consultation, you should ask the following questions:
1. How long have you been performing this specific cosmetic procedure?
2. How many times have you performed this procedure? How many in the past year?
3. What are the pros and cons for this procedure?
4. What are the risks and benefits of this procedure?
5. Are there any other options I may have?
6. How many of your patients had to redo, revise, or correct this procedure again?
7. May I review before and after pictures?
8. Do I have any choices regarding performing the procedure via IV sedation, oral sedation, or with the help of an anesthesiologist so I do not feel anything?
9. May I talk with patients of yours who have had the same procedure as the one I’m interested in?
10. Do you have your own master ceramist and do you do custom work on the color and shape of this specific procedure?
11. Are my gums in satisfactory health before I start this cosmetic procedure? (Periodontal disease can compromise the final outcome of any cosmetic procedure!)
12. How many visits and how much time are required to complete this procedure?
13. Are there any further costs besides the costs of the procedure itself
14. How do I maintain my cosmetic dentistry investment?
15. Are there any compromises as far as my dental health (my roots, my gums, and my bone) that I should be aware of?
When you visit for a consultation, also inquire about the methods and technology of your cosmetic dentist. Make sure your cosmetic dentist is accumulating all the necessary diagnostic records before presenting you with a treatment plan. There is no substitute for having all the information related to your oral cavity. Any shortcuts can lead to improper treatment and a less-than-perfect outcome. Dr. Anthony Mobasser’s record-taking includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Comprehensive examination including your periodontal pocket
• Complete full-mouth X-rays
• Complete diagnostic impressions with study casts
• Complete bite analysis
• Intra-oral photos of your teeth showing your teeth’s original color, any rotations, any asymmetry on your teeth and the gums, any grinding, and the comparison ratios of the size of your teeth.
The above is necessary to present the patient with an ideal cosmetic treatment. Besides these diagnostics, Dr. Mobasser goes through a 20-point checklist and uses Leonardo Da Vinci’s Principle of Divine Proportion to analyze ideal teeth ratios and giving the patient a harmonious smile.. An excellent cosmetic dentist is also one who takes into consideration your lips and gums as well as your teeth when analyzing your complete smile.
You can also ask your cosmetic dentist, if possible, to provide you with a mockup. A mockup is a temporary, in-office example of how your smile will look after your procedure (Dr. Mobasser usually uses bonding material to show his patients how their final porcelain veneers might look). For a fee, you can even request a full-mouth diagnostic wax-up of your teeth and your bite. Dr. Anthony Mobasser believes that you should not pick your cosmetic dentist by price only. The old cliché applies: you get what you pay for. Dr. Mobasser believes that if you get the smile you want, then the positive outcome is priceless.
Your cosmetic dentist should share with you, in detail, the results of the diagnosis and treatment plan. If you have any questions, your cosmetic dentist should be able to answer them satisfactorily, in order to provide the best possible treatment.
American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
When looking for a cosmetic dentist to transform your smile, make sure you pick one who is a member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD). The AACD accepts as members only those dentists who have met a standard of excellence in education, training, and ethics. AACD-accredited dentists must also pass a rigorous examination before acceptance in the academy.
World-class cosmetic dentists also keep up on their education. When considering a cosmetic dentist, ask about his or her training, where they received their degrees, what seminars they attend or lecture, and what articles they publish.
Please see Dr. Mobasser’s published articles.
Referrals are an excellent method of finding an artistic cosmetic dentist. A first-hand account of the dentist’s chair-side manner, artistic capability, and knowledge of the field is an invaluable testimonial to the dentist’s quality and ability. Also, find out what patient comforts are provided.
At Dr. Mobasser’s Los Angeles cosmetic dentistry practice, patients can request a variety of comforts to make the visit more pleasing and relaxing. For patients who don’t like to sit in a crowded waiting room, they can request to be the only patient Dr. Mobasser sees that day. This kind of personal attention is what makes Dr. Mobasser a world-renowned cosmetic dentist, with patients from Asia, Europe, Africa, and other far-flung corners of the globe flying in especially for his unique brand of patient care.
Before and After Photos
Before and after photos are powerful examples of the cosmetic dentist’s work. When consulting with a cosmetic dentist, be sure to look at the patient “before and after” photos. Reputable dentists will have a collection of before and after photos, showcasing their talent and work history. Also, be sure to look at photos of patients who have undergone the procedure you are considering. Look for the dentist’s attention to detail and artistic abilities. If you are impressed with the results you see, then you will most likely be impressed with your own final outcome.
Please take a look at Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Anthony Mobasser’s before and after photos for porcelain veneers, smile makeover, teeth whitening, full-mouth reconstruction, and more.
About Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Anthony Mobasser
Dr. Mobasser offers state-of-the-art cosmetic treatment to his patients in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, and around the world. He is one of the pioneers of modern cosmetic and aesthetic dentistry and is one of the most experienced and qualified dentists in the world. Dr. Mobasser offers full-mouth reconstruction, cosmetic dentistry, porcelain veneers, sedation dentistry, porcelain crowns and bridges, implants, TMJ treatment, smile makeover, and more. To complement his dental training, he also holds degrees in mathematics and engineering. Please visit his website at www.celebritydentist.com.