Modern science has finally come up with an alternative to the dreaded dental drill. Among other advantages, air abrasion, or microabrasion, technology eradicates the whining-whir of the drill that sets many nerves on edge.
Air abrasion works much like the sandblasting process used to clean walls or remove graffiti. A handpiece blows a powerful air-stream of minute, aluminum-oxide particles on the tooth.
The device is primarily used to:
• blast decay away;
• prepare cavities for composite restoration;
• repair cracks;
• remove discoloration; and
• prepare tooth surfaces for bonding.
Air abrasion is particularly useful for children who dread the noise, vibration and anesthesia injections of standard dentistry. The process isn’t suited to all treatments, however. A standard drill is still required for crown and bridge preparation.
• Air abrasion is virtually painless, eliminating the need for anesthesia injections.
• There is no vibration, and thus no friction-created heat.
• It won’t harm the soft tissue of your mouth.
• Less tooth material is removed than with a standard drill.
• Risk of enamel micro-fracturing is reduced.
• Treatment time usually is shorter.
• No whining!
• Abrasion leaves dusty, harmless particle debris in the mouth, easily eliminated by rinsing.
• Safety glasses are recommended during the procedure.
• Your dentist may insert a rubber dam in your mouth and around the area being treated.
• A vacuum hose or water spray may be used to reduce dust buildup.
About Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Anthony Mobasser
Dr. Mobasser offers state-of-the-art cosmetic treatment to his patients in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, and around the world. He is one of the pioneers of modern cosmetic and aesthetic dentistry and is one of the most experienced and qualified dentists in the world. Dr. Mobasser offers full-mouth reconstruction, cosmetic dentistry, porcelain veneers, sedation dentistry, porcelain crowns and bridges, implants, TMJ treatment, smile makeover, and more. To complement his dental training, he also holds degrees in mathematics and engineering. Please visit his website at www.celebritydentist.com.